Re: st: Collapsing daily data to a monthly data on the 15th each month

From   Michael Barker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Collapsing daily data to a monthly data on the 15th each month
Date   Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:26:41 -0500

I'm not sure if you are still working on this, but here is another suggestion.

If you want the average from the 16th of one month to the 15th of the
next month, you could first offset the date variable, collapse your
data, then increment your date variable.

So if the observation marked Jan 15 contains an average over the days
Dec 16 to Jan 15:

* move first 15 days of January to December, Dec 1-15 to Nov, etc.
gen date2 = date - 15
* move new month of December, Dec 16 - Jan 15, to January
g dm=mofd(date2) +1

format dm %tm
collapse  prc ret shrout vwretd ewretd, by (dm)

* Change Jan 1 to Jan 15
gen date = dofm(dm) + 15

But it seems like it would also be valid to construct monthly averages
centered around the 15th. So the observation marked Jan 15 would be an
average of Jan 1 to Jan 31. If you think that will work, just use your
collapse commands, then increment your date back up:

g dm=mofd(date)
format dm %tm
collapse  prc ret shrout vwretd ewretd, by (dm)

gen date = dofm(dm) + 15
format date %td
tsset date, monthly