Re: st: tostring can produces "." from missing numeric values?!

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: tostring can produces "." from missing numeric values?!
Date   Fri, 31 Jan 2014 00:46:30 +0000

This goes way back.

The key point is that -string(.)- is "." and -tostring- is necessarily
consistent with that.

In turn, the key to that decision by StataCorp was, and now I guess,
to ensure that -real(string(<numeric>))- was <numeric>, i.e. that
-real()- and -string()- are, so far as possible, inverses of each
other.

It's easy enough to -replace- "." with "" and to do that in a loop.

It's true that -real("")- is . but it's hard to satisfy every possible
desideratum here.