re: st: Re: error in -vanelteren- (1 group found, 2 required)

From   "Ariel Linden" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Re: error in -vanelteren- (1 group found, 2 required)
Date   Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:51:16 -0500

Thanks to both Red Owl and Joseph Coveney for the response!

That error message is easy to misunderstand. I assumed (wrongly) that the
error was referencing the binary variable used in by(), not in missing
levels of the strata...

Joseph, FYI, I emailed you at [email protected] on 12/29/13 and then
again at [email protected] on 1/1/14. I did not receive a notification of a
bounce either time...

Thanks again

Ariel

Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 09:31:05 +0900
From: "Joseph Coveney" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Re: error in -vanelteren- (1 group found, 2 required)

I am getting an error when running the user-written program -valelteren-
(written by J. Coveney, downloaded from ssc).

The error message states that 1 group is found when 2 are required.  Clearly
there are 2 groups in the specified variable.

I emailed the author of code at two different email addresses but he's so
far non-responsive.

Does anyone else experience this error? I am running Stata v 13.1

-
----

- -vanelteren- does a within-stratum test between the two groups of the of
the
- -by- variable, and so you'll need at least one observation in each of the
-by-
groups for each stratum for the command to work.  As Red Owl pointed out,
the
first two repair record strata have no observations in the
Foreign-automobile
groups.  (See below.)

I just checked my e-mail accounts and there is no e-mail from you anywhere
(other than via the Stata List server), even in the junk-mail folders.  You
might want to re-check whether yours to see whether it bounced for some
reason.

Joseph Coveney

. sysuse auto
(1978 Automobile Data)

. tabulate rep78 foreign

    Repair |
    Record |       Car type
      1978 |  Domestic    Foreign |     Total
         1 |         2          0 |         2
         2 |         8          0 |         8
         3 |        27          3 |        30
         4 |         9          9 |        18
         5 |         2          9 |        11
     Total |        48         21 |        69