Re: st: significant to non significant variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: significant to non significant variable
Date   Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:51:41 +0000

You asked this question twice before.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2014-01/msg00344.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2014-01/msg00340.html

Please see advice at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/#noanswer
and in particular the firm statement that you are allowed at most one
repost.

In this case, despite your claim of "no collinearity", "no
mu[lti]collinearity", it does seem likely that relationships among
your predictors need closer scrutiny. Collinearity is not a yes-no
property, but a matter of degree.

Also, I wouldn't make a fetish of significance. Sometimes, it is
reasonable to include a predictor that is not significant at
conventional levels in a model.

Perhaps you should look at

xtmixed y X1 X3 || country: || Microfinance

Perhaps X1, X2, X3 all should be included. Much depends on your
economic grounds for including those predictors. With such anonymous
names, I doubt that even conomists could comment on that choice.