Re: st: Puzzling error with merge

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   Statalist Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Puzzling error with merge
Date   Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:47:34 -0600

On Jan 13, 2014, at 8:04 AM, David Hoaglin <[email protected]> wrote:
> My key variable has no missing values in either file.

Is that statement based on what you know to be true from the original data (i.e., as you scan through them in the Excel file), or based on the results of

    assert !mi(StudyID)

It is often the case that data imported from Excel contain extra (blank) observations at the end.  I don't mean to question the veracity of your statement, but given what you've said, the existence of some extra observations in the master file with missing values for StudyID appears to be the only possible explanation (unless Joe is right, and you accidentally skipped over a duplicate in the output from -tabulate-).

-- Phil