[no subject]

The pros and cons of generalized linear models (e.g. as implemented in
-glm-) versus other approaches are a rather large subject, but one key
point is that in -glm- it is the predicted mean which is fitted on a
transformed scale, which is not the exact equivalent of transforming
the data.

You need only realise that

* logit(0) and logit(1) are undefined whereas logit(mean) is perfectly
well defined for mean in (0,1)

or

* log(0) is also undefined, but Poisson models can accommodate observed zeros

to see the advantage. Another key point is that functional form and
distribution family are separate choices.

A very good expository paper, often cited on this list by Scott
Merryman and myself, is

Lane, P.W. 2002. Generalized linear models in soil science.
European Journal of Soil Science 53: 241-251.

Anyone going "soil science???" should know that the examples are not
difficult and seize this opportunity to impress your colleagues with
your eclectic erudition.

Abstract: Classical linear models are easy to understand and fit.
However, when assumptions are not met, violence should not be used on
the data to force them into the linear mould. Transformation of
variables may allow successful linear modeling, but it affects several
aspects of the model simultaneously. In particular, it can interfere
with the scientific interpretation of the model. Generalized linear
models are a wider class, and they retain the concept of additive
explanatory effects. They provide generalizations of the
distributional assumptions of the response variable, while at the same
time allowing a transformed scale on which the explanatory effects
combine. These models can be fitted reliably with standard software,
and the analysis is readily interpreted in an analogous way to that of
linear models. Many further generalizations to the generalized linear
model have been proposed, extending them to deal with smooth effects,
non-linear parameters, and extra compone
nts of variation. Though the extra complexity of generalized linear
models gives rise to some additional difficulties in analysis, these
difficulties are outweighed by the flexibility of the models and ease
of interpretation. The generalizations allow the intuitively more
appealing approach to analysis of adjusting the model rather than
adjusting the data.