Re: st: nested loop with string values

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: nested loop with string values
Date   Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:55:38 +0000

You don't explain what "not working" means precisely. I have an
unpublished list of about 20 senses in which this phrase or one
similar has been used on Statalist, just three of which are syntax
error, not converging and giving results that are incorrect.

Both your loops are in terms of an index i. You refer to an index j
which is never defined. That is not illegal, but Stata will just
substitute a blank. I guess at a typo, but as both inner loop and
outer loop refer to j, there is likely to be a logic error there too.

Your problem may call for a -reshape long-, not the creation of more
variables, but I don't understand your data structure at all. Perhaps
you should give us an example of your data, explaining what is to be
an observation. For example, are individual observations people and
values present only if the person is in a particular age group or
income group? In that case, one of the row functions in -egen- may
help.