st: RE: C statistics with IVREG2

Subject   st: RE: C statistics with IVREG2
Date   Mon, 16 Dec 2013 19:12:35 +0000

Rosaria,

The explanation is buried deep in the -ivreg2- help file:

"To guarantee that the C statistic is non-negative in finite samples, the estimated covariance matrix of the full set orthogonality conditions is used to calculate both Sargan-Hansen statistics (in the case of simple IV/2SLS, this amounts to using the MSE from the unrestricted equation to calculate both Sargan statistics). ... For further discussion, see Hayashi (2000), pp. 218-22 and pp. 232-34."

If you do it by hand using the difference between the two Sargan stats, as you did, you aren't guaranteed to get a non-neg stat in finite samples.

For another illustration of this trick, have a look at the sigmamore and sigmaless options of the -hausman- command.

HTH,
Mark

> Thank you very much for your help
> Rosaria

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.