Re: st: -ssc hot- broken?

Subject   Re: st: -ssc hot- broken?
Date   Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:11:23 -0500

Dear Richard,

the correspondence of Stata version vs .dta specification is here:
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?dta
This table describes the format of the dataset that is produced by the
corresponding Stata. The rule of thumb is that newer formats are not
supported in older Statas.

Kit's statement mentioned Stata 11 (without mentioning the update).
The update you mention is the final update in the 11.x generation and
more info is here:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-08/msg00935.html Thank you
for mentioning it.

I should not have been so categorical either, but was referring to 11,
not 11.2. As always, updating Stata from StataCorp's updates is better
then installing custom patches (e.g. mine here).

To find out the file format specification for a dta file on disk, type in Stata:
hexdump filename.dta
Then in the output look for the first byte. Then use the topmost table here:
http://www.radyakin.org/transfer/saveto9/cs/index.htm
for the reference. Apparently I will need to update it to reflect that
Stata 11.2 can read newer format than it can save.

If anyone still has datasets produced with Stata prior to version 5 I
would very much want to have a look at them.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin