Re: st: Treating similar events in adjacent years in panel set as one

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Treating similar events in adjacent years in panel set as one
Date   Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:11:57 +0000

Various terms used here would refer to runs or spells of identical
values. Here I would normally refer you to -tsspell- from SSC.
However, I do infer that you can read

SJ-7-2  dm0029  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Identifying spells
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q2/07   SJ 7(2):249--265                                 (no commands)
        shows how to handle spells with complete control over
        spell specification

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=dm0029

which leads to suggestions like

bysort Id (year) : gen spell = X == 1 & (_n == 1 | X[_n-1] == 0)
by Id : replace spell = sum(spell) if X == 1

As you have just started Stata, you might like to read up on -by:- in
the manuals and/or

SJ-2-1  pr0004  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata:  How to move step by: step
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/02   SJ 2(1):86--102                                  (no commands)
        explains the use of the by varlist : construct to tackle
        a variety of problems with group structure, ranging from
        simple calculations for each of several groups to more
        advanced manipulations that use the built-in _n and _N

http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=pr0004

The code above numbers spells 1, 2, 3 separately for each distinct
value of -Id-. If you want spells to be numbered in one sequence
within the dataset, use

 replace spell = sum(spell) if X == 1

without the prefix.