Re: st: Defining upper limit of loop

Subject   Re: st: Defining upper limit of loop
Date   Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:46:09 -0500

Nabin, a loop is a programming technique which allows 'shorthand
notation'. For example, instead of writing
display 1
display 2
display 3
display 4
we write
forval i=1/4 {
  display `i'
}

But when we look at the loop we can still understand right away, that
the loop index i will take values 1,2,3,4.

In a different situation with foreach we write
foreach v in X Y Z {
  display `"`v'"'
}

and we know v will take values X, then Y, then Z.

When you write 1/"Z" what is it supposed to mean? What is in between 1
and "Z"???

The only way I see it is if you want to evaluate Z separately for
every observation:
clear
sysuse auto
rename price X
rename rep78 Z
generate sum=X
forvalues i=1/`=_N' {
  replace sum=X+X[_n+`=Z[_n]'] in `i'
}
But kindly invest more time into the question.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin