Re: st: creating a table of own design

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: creating a table of own design
Date   Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:05:30 +0000

You seem to be in some doubt about

 mat A = ("a"\"b")

but that will produce an error message of -type mismatch- and the
reason in turn is simple: Stata matrices are for numbers only and may
not include strings.

Here's how Stata introduces matrices at [U] 14.1.1

"To Stata, a matrix is a named entity containing an r x c (0 < r <=
matsize, 0 < c <=   matsize) rectangular  array of double-precision
numbers (including missing values) that is bordered by a row and a
column of names."

Learning Stata programming is tricky, but made less tricky by
approaching it the right way. Here's my RST method for learning Stata
programming.

Read the documentation. There's really no alternative. [U] contained
the first and in many ways still one of the best treatments. (Your
problem, as above, is explained directly in [U].) Kit Baum's book
http://www.stata.com/bookstore/stata-programming-introduction/ is also
well paced and well explained.

Slow but sure. Learners often slap down several lines of code and then
say, "Why isn't my program working?" Focus on one line at a time and
think about getting each one right. If you are learning, ten lines of
code can be very long, but Stata will stop at the first error,
regardless of whether later code is good.

Test, test, test. Stata's debugging environment is not spectacular,
but it's more than enough to help progress. -set trace on- often
helps. Most of the tests one needs are a matter of looking at the
data, macros, scalars, matrices, to see what they are (or whether
Stata can see them).

To build up a table as you intend, I recommend simply using -display-
to produce a line at a
time.http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=pr0053 may
help.

On "local variable", see