RE: st: RV: Doubt about level option in pscore.ado

From   Carlos Tendilla González <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RV: Doubt about level option in pscore.ado
Date   Thu, 5 Dec 2013 13:47:28 -0600

Jorge,

Thank you for your comment.

Regards.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez
Enviado el: jueves, 05 de diciembre de 2013 01:23 p.m.
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: Re: st: RV: Doubt about level option in pscore.ado

Standard significance levels are 0.1, 0.05 and 0.01 and you shouldn't mess with them. Decreasing them is not improving the balance, it's making it harder to reject the null hypothesis of no difference in means. So if you get balance after decreasing the level, nothing in your sample has changed, you just made it harder to reject the null of balance.

In the previous threads Melisa Garrido and me pointed out that t-tests are not the best measure of balance. Again check the paper by Kosuke Imai I linked to in that thread.
Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez
Graduate Student
Department of Economics
Brown University