st: question about confirmatory factor analysis using the sem command in Stata

From   David Greenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: question about confirmatory factor analysis using the sem command in Stata
Date   Wed, 4 Dec 2013 15:15:16 -0500

I have a question regarding the example given in the print copy of the
User's Manual on Structural Equation Modeling for version 12. On page
94, the manual uses an artificial data set to illustrate CFA for a
single-factor measurement model. Using version 13.1, I reproduce the
results shown in the manual perfectly. When I then type "sem,
standardized" to obtain the standardized solution, the output shows a
constant term for each path in the measurement model, say for the path
x1 <-- X.Why are constant terns present if this is a solution in which
the observed variables are standardized? What is the meaning of the
constant terms for the standardized solution? David Greenberg,
Sociology Department, New York University