Re: st: Generating a value depending on filename

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Generating a value depending on filename
Date   Tue, 03 Dec 2013 20:53:25 -0500

You can get the file list, and append at the same time:

  local files : dir . files *_labor_vars.xls
  clear
  save states, emptyok replace
  foreach F in `files' {
	local state = substr("`F'",1,2)
	import excel `F', sheet("BLS Data Series") firstrow
	gen str2 state="`state'"
	append using states
	save states, replace
 }

If you want to add a FIPS state code later, just use a cross walk to match to the -state- variable.

hope this helps,
Jeph