Re: st: RE: Generating a value depending on filename

Subject   Re: st: RE: Generating a value depending on filename
Date   Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:33:39 -0500

Jack, in addition to the previous posting, couple of more comments:

THIS:
gen state = 01 if filename == "AL_labor_vars.xls" | 02 if filename
=="AK_labor_vars.xls"
WILL NOT WORK as you intend:
1) filename will be interpreted as a variable name. You probably mean
`"`c(filename)'"'. But don't use it after importing data.

2) and 3) are actually so common I wrote a reusable text for beginners here:
http://radyakin.org/statalist/text/conditions.htm

4) if you loop by the initials, use them in branching (this is an
advice, not a bug) instead of the filename. Instead of
if filename == "AL_labor_vars.xls"
you can write
if `"`initials'"' == "AL"
(just in case you'll need to process e.g. prices data instead of the
labor indicators one day).

5) if you loop by a string content, consider generating a string
variable, then append all 50 datasets, then encode the string variable
to a numeric variable in one swoop.

6) there are tons of different ways to do things in Stata. Given Joe's
and my comments, perhaps restructure your question into two: one
idealistic: what do I want to achieve? (encode a variable to match a
certain coding, leaving gaps in codes, match FIPS, whatever) and
another implementational (how exactly do I do this and that?)

Best, Sergiy Radyakin