Re: st: After logistic regression, can I determine ORs and CIs for nonsignificant variables

From   Fernando Furquim <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: After logistic regression, can I determine ORs and CIs for nonsignificant variables
Date   Tue, 3 Dec 2013 10:22:59 -0600

Rachel,

I'm not sure why you are using a stepwise selection, nor am I very
familiar with when it's a good idea, but my understanding is that
Stata would iteratively add a new independent variable to the model if
it is statistically significant at the level specified. So if a
variable doesn't reach that threshold, it is not included in the model
and thus has no p/CIs/ORs. They are not in the model at all - and if
they were, the p/CIs/ORs of your other variables may be different than
what the stepwise selection is reporting in the end.

If you need to know how each variable is contributing to the model,
I'd just fully specify the model rather than rely on stepwise
selection. Then you can use whatever criteria make sense to you in
deciding what to include or exclude.

Fernando