Re: st: On the joint frequency distribution

From   Syed Basher <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: On the joint frequency distribution
Date   Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:02:34 +0300

Hi Richard, thank you for your prompt reply. The choice of 10 bins is
purely arbitrary. It could be any value between 6-10 (as seen in the
literature), or any other figure. Say, X is US stock return and Y is
Japanese stock return, by calculating the joint distribution of (i,j)
cells, we can understand the dependence structure of the two return
series, whereby numbers in bin (1,1) represent the left tail while the
numbers in bin (10,10) represent the right tail. I tried the syntax
you suggested (without doing the re-labeling), the off-diagonal
elements are zero. Is it because of not doing the re-labeling?

Syed