Re: st: Testparm Command in Logistic Regression Analysis

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Testparm Command in Logistic Regression Analysis
Date   Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:16:13 +0100

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just in general, is it correct to use the test/testparm command in logistic regression or does it only apply for linear regression models?

-test- and -testparm- can be used after non-linear models, they will
give you a Wald test.

> As I already stated I can't use the lrtest command to compare nested models because I have  different numbers of observations within the models.

The differing number of observation is probably due to missing values.
If you take those into account you could use the likelihood ratio
test.

> So what's the appropriate way to test the overall significance of a variable in a logistic regression model (and then to decide whether it stays in the model or not)?

Beware, in such a scenario you exclude variables because you cannot
reject the hypothesis that the effect is 0. So, in essence you act as
if a failure to reject the null hypothesis that the effect is 0
confirms that hypothesis. However, a failure to reject the that
hypothesis is not the same as a confirmation of that hypothesis; an
absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence. So, in a
strict sense using any statistical test in this way is incorrect.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB
Reichpietschufer 50