Re: st: Generating new variable conditional to another

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Generating new variable conditional to another
Date   Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:10:03 +0100

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Theocharis Kromydas wrote:
> I have a dummy variable with values 0 for those not having tertiary education and 1 for all others who hold a tertiary degree. There is a bug in my data where I could find people who responded as having a degree while also responded as having obtained less than the corresponding years to compulsory education for each country, which is impossible.

Beware, there is often a lot more possible than you think or is even
allowed by law. For example, they could have gotten that degree abroad
where different rules apply, there may have been a special program
that allowed them to get the degree early, they may be geniuses and
skipped some classes, etc. etc. etc. Each of these possibilties on
their own is unlikely, but it is also unlikely that you will find data
without a single "weird" case.

> The same bug applies to some others who responded as having obtained more than 18 years of education but they do not have a degree (which this is more possible to happen but quite unlikely).

This is very plausible. I would get worried if I found data where this
was not the case for a reasonable proportion of students. For
substantive reasons I would definately not code these as having a
degree.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
WZB