st: Re: interpreting marginal effects of fractional logit with continuous independent variables

From   "Sandra Virgo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: interpreting marginal effects of fractional logit with continuous independent variables
Date   Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:31:09 +0000

To David Hoaglin:

Thanks for your advice, which I will take on board.

Best Wishes

**** ****
To Austin Nichols:

It makes sense to me (finally) that a one-unit increase in a proportion is just 0.01, and that this will change my reading of the output.

So when you say that "the y in that expression is not really 'the percentage of conceptions ending in maternity'", do you mean that the y is actually hundredths of a percentage of conceptions ending in maternity?

(My output below as reminder)
    |   Delta-method
    |   dy/dx   Std. Err.   z    P>|z|
[95% Conf. Interval]
- -
- -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
  llti_stand |  -.5630636   .0485536   -11.60   0.000  -.658227
- -.4679002
- -

New interpretation (thanks Austin):

"For every one percentage-point increase in llti_stand
(age-standardised long-term limiting illness prevalence), the percentage
of conceptions ending in maternity decreases by 56 hundredths of a
percentage point (i.e. decreases by just over half a percentage point)?

Thanks for your help.

Sandra

Sandra Virgo
PhD Researcher
Department of Population Health
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
0207 299 4681