st: RE: converting string to numerals

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: converting string to numerals
Date   Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:14:48 +0000

Ramesh,

-encode- sorts the responses in alphabetical order before converting to numeric, so if you can add something to the beginning of the string that will sort them correctly, that is one solution.  However, if you are going to go through all that trouble, you might as well just use a series of -replace- statements to convert the strings to the desired numerals.

Regards,
Joe Canner
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of ramesh
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:08 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: converting string to numerals

Hello statalist,
I have a very basic question about coding string variables. My variable is expressed as strongly disagree, disagree, neither disagree nor agree, agree, and strongly agree. I want to code them -2 if strongly disagree, -1 if disagree, 0 if neither disagree nor agree, 1 if agree, and 2 if strongly agree. I used encode(var), gen(var1), but it coded the scales randomly. Is there any direct way to preserve the order in data coding?

Thanks,
Ramesh