Re: st: anova account for the same individuals

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: anova account for the same individuals
Date   Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:04:48 -0500

Dear Llling,

Since each person rated all eight ads, an analysis of variance of your
scores should have two factors: ad and person.  It would be a two-way
analysis of variance.  If the 54 people constitute, in some reasonable
sense, a sample from some population, you would classify person as a
random factor. You probably are not considering the eight ads as a
sample from a population of ads (though that would be appropriate in
some instances), so you would classify ad as a fixed factor.

This ANOVA enables you to make comparisons among ads within person.
In that way, it generalizes the analysis underlying a paired t-test.

Stata may want you to treat the analysis as involving repeated measures:
anova score person ad, repeated(ad)
You can get further information from the documentation for -anova-.

You have not mentioned the scale of values for the rating scores.  If
the scale has only a few values, the ANOVA may not be entirely
appropriate.

I hope this helps.

David Hoaglin