Re: st: Longitudinal analysis - help!

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Longitudinal analysis - help!
Date   Wed, 13 Nov 2013 18:14:30 +0000

This to me is a very interesting area, indeed a long-standing,
although slow-moving, personal preoccupation.

The background here of why you have irregular measurements and
particularly why you sometimes, but not always, have simultaneous
measurements for X and Y, might be relevant for what kind of analysis
makes sense. Your data could be reorganised to allow various -xt-
commands, but it's hard to see that you can use times when only one
variable is measured.

There is literature on time series analysis for irregularly spaced
data.  The Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unevenly_spaced_time_series is short, but
in my view spot on.

For some related discussion see

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-02/msg00484.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-02/msg00487.html

There are several routines for interpolation in Stata, including
-ipolate-, -cipolate- (SSC), -csipolate- (SSC), -pchipolate- (SSC) and
-nnipolate- (SSC).

For reasons I do not fully understand there is massively more interest
in imputation  for time series data (which is always complicated, and
almost always difficult to defend, because most missingness is
strongly non-random) than in interpolation (which is always simple,
and almost always difficult to defend, for different reasons).