Re: st: Memory in exlogistic

Subject   Re: st: Memory in exlogistic
Date   Tue, 12 Nov 2013 16:16:23 -0500

Horea,
you are right. Stata's command exlogistic has its own memory
management that is subject to 2gb restriction according to the
documentation and not controlled by the new memory manager. Usually
this means that setting anything higher is not possible.

In the case of exlogistic, the memory is analyzed in _parsememory.ado
and an error message is given to the user if the value is >2gb. If the
value is 'good' it is later passed to an internal command _exact_msa,
and the use of it is unknown.

I see two possibilities:
1) is the code inside _exact_msa is dependent on the 32-bit nature of
the memory parameter. In that case that is the end of the story.
2) the code inside _exact_msa actually does not care, but for some
reasons Stata developers restricted memory to 2gb. For example to have
a single execution path in 32- and 64-bit versions of Stata.

Given that there exists a mild probability that 2gb is a "soft" limit,
you can try to override Stata's safety mechanism and investigate what
happens. You can do it with, e.g. creating a new _parsememory.ado
somewhere in a higher priority location (use sysdir or adopath if
necessary) with the following content (4gb):

program _parsememsize, sclass
        sreturn local size = 4*1024*1024*1024
end

this would _attempt_ to always tell to use 4gb (regardless of the
option you specify at runtime in exlogistic). Check if this works on
known datasets/benchmarks. Then proceed at your own risk.

For #1, contact StataCorp, as this is not exposed.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin