st: Multilevel modelling: convergence, value of the log odds ratio, and dummy variable issues.

From   liliana <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Multilevel modelling: convergence, value of the log odds ratio, and dummy variable issues.
Date   Fri, 8 Nov 2013 06:32:43 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am a new statalist user. I have registered here because I need some help.

I am writing my Master's thesis and as a part of it I am analyzing the data
from the Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS).
I am investigating the individual- and community-level determinants of child
mortality. I have generated the variables and started to run the
regressions. As Marteen suggests in many of his posts, I have run started
from the null model, then added the individual-level variables, then the
community-level variables, and then the interaction terms
(individual*community).

However, Stata (I hold the version 11.2)  tells me that the convergence is
not achieved. I have included the iter(20) and the difficult options in the
xtmelogit expression. Why?

Moreover, in the last model (with the interactions) the dummy variable which
assumes value 1 if the mother of the baby has a higher education has got a
log odds ratio equal to 27. Can you imagine why?

Also, all the variables in my model are dummies. Are dummies better than
categorical variables for these estimations?

Many thanks in advance.

Liliana