Re: st: Capture Code from Graph Editor

Subject   Re: st: Capture Code from Graph Editor
Date   Tue, 5 Nov 2013 20:53:09 -0500

Lisa,

is this what you need?
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?graph_editor#recorder

The good news is that the recording itself is Stata code. The bad news
is that it is probably not the Stata code you are up to.

As I understand you are looking for which options of the original
graph command are responsible for the changes you are doing with the
graph on the screen. There is no such 'reverse engineering' facility
in Stata. Instead the recordings manipulate objects created as
products of the original graph command. These inner workings of
graphics are not documented (which does not mean you can't work with
them:) . And the recording file contains a comment:
// Edit only if you know what you are doing.

If you want to study graphics in the similar way you studied the
options of the estimation and data manipulation commands, I would
recommend you an excellent book by Mitchell:
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Guide-Stata-Graphics-Edition/dp/1597181064

It illustrates the working of each individual option (highlighted)
with an example.

Hope this helps.

Best, Sergiy