Re: st: tsset for panel data with many variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: tsset for panel data with many variables
Date   Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:09:35 +0000

It's really not clear what you are doing. Which command produces that
error message?

If you are telling Stata that you have monthly dates which are
integers like 200610, to Stata they are several thousand years into
the future. For Stata month 0 was January 1960 and this is month 646:

. di %tm 0
 1960m1

. di %tm 646
2013m11

Conversely, if you are telling Stata something else, what is it?

 It is futile deciding on your own date convention and hoping that
Stata will understand it. There is only one rule: follow Stata's date
conventions, or invent your own completely separate system.

In the long run it is a waste of time _not_ to read -help dates and
times- until what you need to know is clearly understood.

Please show us the results of

. describe case_id monthly_var

. list case_id monthly_var in 1/20

The request that you read
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/#spell still
stands.

On 4 November 2013 20:43, Tetsuji Tanaka <[email protected]> wrote:

> Dear all, and thank you for the response, Nick.
>
> I am trying that the STATA recognise my panel data as a panel data.
> I made an id variable "case_id" to identify individual data (to avoid data duplication).
> My monthly data variable is written like "200601" "200612" meaning January and December in 2006, respectively.
>
> format monthly_var %tm
> tsset case_id monthly_var
>
> And I got an error message
>
> =exp required
> r(100);
>
> I don't understand what is wrong.
> Please give me ideas to overcome these problems.

Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote