Different marker symbols [was: Re: st: Boxplot - color coded + cat labels | documenting work round]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Different marker symbols [was: Re: st: Boxplot - color coded + cat labels | documenting work round]
Date   Fri, 1 Nov 2013 16:59:24 +0000

I have never wanted to plot Mars or Venus symbols on a graph. The
issue to me is not whether you want to distinguish males and females,
which clearly is common in fields ranging from microeconomics to
medical statistics (which takes in some very large fraction of Stata
users). The issue is that these will only work well if you are
displaying a very few data points (e.g. outliers). Given many more,
the non-circular parts of both are likely just to contribute noise.
But clearly if these were provided it's easy enough not to use them.

But a symbol I have often wanted is a downward-facing triangle, for
which the syntax V is ready to hand.