Re: st: Post-regression graph

From   Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Post-regression graph
Date   Wed, 20 Nov 2013 23:01:21 -0500

The command -twoway qfit y x- estimates the quadratic regression model
-reg y x x^2- and plots the predicted relationship between y and x
from the estimated model. It will do so even if you have not estimated
any model beforehand.

After you run the regression model, the variable e(sample) becomes 1
for observations that were included in estimation of the model and 0
otherwise.

So if you write -twoway qfit y x- if e(sample), after estimating a
quadratic regression model. Stata will estimate a quadratic model on
the sample that was used for the regression model. The model and the
graph will be equivalent.

This would not necessarily be the case if you don't use e(sample),
because then your model and your graph could be using different
samples.

If you actually want to see the graph arising from your initial model,
you can graph the prediction against the independent variable:

sysuse auto, clear
gen mpg2=mpg*mpg
reg price mpg mpg2
predict pricehat
line pricehat mpg, sort

Or graph the function implied by the model

twoway function y = _b[_cons] +_b[mpg]*x + _b[mpg2]*x^2, range(10 40)

If you want a model and a graph for different race groups, you should
estimate a model for each group, or estimate a model with
interactions. For example. here I estimate two models and plot both
lines

sysuse auto, clear
gen mpg2=mpg*mpg
reg price mpg mpg2 if foreign
predict pricehat1
reg price mpg mpg2 if !foreign
predict pricehat2
 line pricehat1 pricehat2 mpg, sort legend(label(1 "Foreign") label(2
"Domestic"))
Jorge Eduardo Pérez Pérez
Graduate Student
Department of Economics