Re: st: forvalues foreach or while loop for sequential variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: forvalues foreach or while loop for sequential variables
Date   Thu, 31 Oct 2013 08:53:28 +0000

This picks up the syntax Robbie was missing, namely

`=exp'

for some expression exp, but it won't work entirely as desired.
Suppose -hospital7- -hospital8- -hospital9- are all 42. Then
-hospital8- is changed to missing because it is the same as
-hospital7-, but next time around the loop -hospital9- of 42 is
compared with missing and nothing is changed.

On 31 October 2013 07:32, A Loumiotis <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
>> 2   6      9    6
>> 3   8      1    3
>> 4   5      5    5
>> 5   2      2    2
>> 6   2      9    1
>> 7   1      1    1
>> 8   3      1    7
>> 9   3      0    4
>> end
>>
>> list
>>
>> * You have this in a loop
>> replace hosp15 = . if hosp15 == hosp14
>> list
>> *--------- end code ----------
>>
>> but this compares only contiguos hospitals (14 with 15 and 15 with 16) but not
>> hospitals that are "further apart" (14 with 16). This is the case with
>> observation 2 in the example data I created. Your loop misses this comparison,
>> which I assume is important, i.e., you want hosp16 to equal .
>> for that observation because hosp14 already takes the value of 6. If
>> the assumption
>> is true, this is very problematic.
>>
>> That said, now take a look at what your variables are evaluating to
>> inside the loop
>> (use -display- for this):
>>
>> *-------- begin code ---------
>> clear
>> set more off
>>
>> input obs hosp14  hosp15 hosp16
>> 1   1      5    5
>> 2   6      9    6
>> 3   8      1    3
>> 4   5      5    5
>> 5   2      2    2
>> 6   2      9    1
>> 7   1      1    1
>> 8   3      1    7
>> 9   3      0    4
>> end
>>
>> forvalues num=15/16 {
>>           display "hosp`num'" // your LHS
>>           display "hosp``num'-1'" // your RHS
>>           replace hosp`num'=. if hosp`num'==hosp``num'-1'
>> }
>>
>> *--------- end code ----------
>>
>> The LHS is OK, but the RHS is always evaluating to "hosp". You do not
>> specify your
>> error in your post (you mention "it didn't work" and you should be
>> specific about it)
>> but here I get this:
>>
>> hosp ambiguous abbreviation
>> r(111);
>>
>> Stata doesn't know if you're refering to hosp14, hosp15 or hosp16, and
>> so it halts
>> with an error.
>>
>> Because I mess up easily with all the quotes (maybe someone will
>> clarify this point),
>> my strategy is to declare a new local and then use it for the RHS:
>>
>> *---
>> forvalues num=15/16 {
>>           local newnum = `num' - 1
>>           replace hosp`num' = . if hosp`num' == hosp`newnum'
>> }
>> *---
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 1:42 AM, Roberto Ferrer <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Robbie,
>>>
>>> Here is one way avoiding the loop and using -reshape-.

>>> 2   6      9    6
>>> 3   8      1    3
>>> 4   5      5    5
>>> 5   2      2    2