Re: st: 2 dimensional graph for joint distribution

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 2 dimensional graph for joint distribution
Date   Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:54:48 -0400

Lulu,

That graph in Train's paper is definitely a type of display that one
should avoid.

Unless you have a fairly large number of combinations of the
coefficients of odo and bill, you will have little way to develop the
surface corresponding to the joint density function of those
coefficients.

For numbers of combinations like the six in your example, it might
work to use a "bubble plot" --- a scatter plot of the coefficient of
bill against the coefficient of odo in which each point is plotted as
a circle whose area is proportional to share.  I don't know whether
such a plot is readily available in Stata.

Regards,

David Hoaglin