Re: st: Variable Inflation Factor (VIF) for non-linear models

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Variable Inflation Factor (VIF) for non-linear models
Date   Sun, 27 Oct 2013 13:44:19 +0000

The VIFs (plural) depend on the predictors alone and are defined for a
regression model.

-xtpoisson- is a regression model, wide sense, but the machinery is
different. I don't think there is a definition of VIF that is modified
for such models: we are no longer doing any kind of least squares, in
particular.

Nothing stops you doing a multiple regression (with _any_ response) to
get VIFs. The folklore I am aware of implies that multicollinearity
shown up that way could be a severe problem for any kind of model,
regardless of the link function  or the exact machinery. On the whole,
multicollinearity seems less of a problem to me than people fear,
provided you show some sensitivity to not including predictors that
have very similar meaning and to the consequences of powers and
products as predictors.