Re: st: Interpretation of coefficients for predictor with linear and quadratic terms in negative binomial regression

From   Rachael Wills <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of coefficients for predictor with linear and quadratic terms in negative binomial regression
Date   Wed, 23 Oct 2013 04:43:56 +0000

Thank-you to everyone who has given me suggestions for my problem.

Given my audience, and the lack of any other covariates in my model, I may investigate using splines (thanks Maarten). However, I really appreciate the resources and information on -margins-. Richard, your powerpoint slides were very informative and much appreciated.

In answer to your questions Kieran:
1. Occupancy is a measure of how full a childcare centre is. It is an aggregate measure over a given time period (I am using the average over a year). Very simplistically, two centres may be licenced to care for 100 children at a time. If one centre was attended by 70 children in a day they would have an occupancy of 70%, while the other may have been attended by 96, thus having an occupancy of 96%.

2. Extended departures have to be more than 6 weeks in length, and during this time the business does not know that the child is going to return to the centre (i.e. they have ceased care, but later return). I take your point that this exit may free up space for a new child to begin attending the centre, and in high occupancy centres which have waiting lists, this happens. However, this is not the case in centres with lower occupancy as there was spare room in that centre already. From this the theory arises that extended departures may be more likely to occur in centres with lower occupancy as there is less danger of not being able to re-enrol the child if a decision is made to commence care again (this is what I am trying to test). Due to the varying sizes and occupancies of centres I believe it is necessary to model the extended departures as rates, hence the use of the children offset.

Thanks again to all,

Rachael