Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?

Subject   Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?
Date   Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:14:07 -0400

Dear Dirk,

I have updated savespss to support per-variable 'convenient' extended
missing values like the DHS-standard missings encoding described here:
http://www.measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/DHSG4/Recode6_DHS_22March2013_DHSG4.pdf

You can update the program from the same location:
http://radyakin.org/transfer/savespss/savespss.htm

With this, the users of all platforms can now produce SPSS system
files (*.sav) with the only binding limitation of long strings added
in Stata 13. -savespss- however works in Stata 13. It is just that the
string variables should not be longer than 244 chars (for now). But
SaveTo9 will also not help in that case. It will not take Stata 13th
files for input.

Is there any other rationale for dta2sav?

SaveTo9.exe is really intended for SPSS users who do not have Stata at
all, but need to import data saved in recent formats. If Stata is
available, -savespss- is a more direct way, and retains more features.

By the way, can anybody having SPSS confirm whether their standard
import facility imports variable and dataset characteristics? Does
Stat/Transfer do this?

Best, Sergiy Radyakin