Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?

Subject   Re: st: How to re-program -save9- for Stata 13?
Date   Tue, 15 Oct 2013 08:46:30 -0400

Hello Marco,

could you please explain a bit, why you see a need for such a program?
If you have Stata 13, this means you can use -saveold- to save in the
previous version, then following this FAQ all the way until version 5
if necessary:
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data-management/save-for-previous-version/

If you don't have Stata 13, then you use -use13- to load the data into
Stata 10 or later.
http://radyakin.org/transfer/use13/use13.htm

So I see potential clients as:
1) people having Stata 9 and no access to newer versions;
2) people having non-Stata software that can read dta format of 9, but
not newer and the software is not going to be updated, and there is no
access to Stata 10+

Regarding 1) I was told the # is pretty small, but I don't know what
'small' really is. Regarding 2) I am interested in what is out there
(regardless whether maintained or not). Can we have a headcount of the
programs that directly read Stata datasets? Let me start:
ADePT v.5.50.5001.23617 (supports data from Stata 8 to 13)
ADePT Map v2 (supports data from Stata 8-11)
R (with package foreign) (supports data from Stata 5 to 12)
SPSS v.15+ (supports data from Stata X?X to 9?)
Stat/Transfer (supports data from any version of Stata)
etc.

Regarding the implementation it is not at all difficult: the current
code of use13 and use10 contains all the necessary procedures to
implement save9 which I can do if there is any significant demand.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin