Re: st: Programming Repetition for categories

From   Tim <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Programming Repetition for categories
Date   Thu, 03 Oct 2013 13:06:30 +1000

I would probably make a variable for the categories, then use -by-

. egen cat_SHARE_DEP = cut(SHARE_DEP), at(0, 10000000, 20000000, 500000, 100000000, 250000000, 1000000000, 10000000000), label
. foreach avg in Q BRANCH A TYPE P MEMB_TOT {
.    bys cat_SHARE_DEP: egen avg_`avg' = mean(`avg')
. }

The if you really want separate variables for the different means, you can separate them later, but it's probably not necessary. It will probably be easier to work with -by- and/or -if- to select the category means you want.

As for your code, the -if SHARE_DEP- command refers to the value of SHARE_DEP in the first observation, so only one of your if clauses will ever run, and if when it runs it will operate on the whole dataset as you have not used a subsetting -if- in the -egen- command.

See  [U] 11.1.3 if exp and  [P] if

Tim BP