Re: st: Using OBDC to reference a Stata file?

Subject   Re: st: Using OBDC to reference a Stata file?
Date   Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:00:43 -0400

Jeph, suppose your original mySQL is something like:

SELECT *
FROM Customers c
WHERE c.State = 'NY'

and now you want to get their orders. Then just do the inner join with
the same condition in -where-.

SELECT *
FROM Customers c
INNER JOIN CustomerOrders co
    ON co.CustomerID = c.CustomerID
WHERE c.State = 'NY'

There are two (at least) downsides:
1. you can not pre-filter the list of ids in Stata (after your first
query). You have to put everything in SQL, and
2. this will be a second query to the database, which potentially
might produce more records than the original query (if the DB was
updated in the meanwhile).

Best, Sergiy Radyakin