Re: st:compute wealth index score with PCA

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st:compute wealth index score with PCA
Date   Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:36:21 -0400

Wei Yee,

Your code is correct but your are not using any weights with the
-xtile- command. I assume you run the -pca- command with data where
one observation represents one household. Without weights in the
subsequent -xtile- command, the resulting quintiles may not reflect
the number of persons living in each household. If we assume that
poorer households are larger, the quintiles may be unbalanced, with
more persons allocated to the poorest quintile (identified by your
variable score1_cat) and fewer persons allocated to the richest
quintile. For example, if the total number of household members is
100, the distribution may look as follows:

- Quintile 1: 30 persons
- Quintile 2: 25 persons
- Quintile 3: 20 persons
- Quintile 4: 15 persons
- Quintile 5: 10 persons

Ideally, the quintiles should have 20 persons each, although this may
not be possible if there is insufficient variation in the wealth
scores. To create proper quintiles, add a weight variable with
information on the number of household members to the -xtile- command.

Friedrich