Re: st: "Can Your Results be Replicated?" (Stata error?)

Subject   Re: st: "Can Your Results be Replicated?" (Stata error?)
Date   Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:41:09 -0500

At 08:14 AM 9/13/2013, Anders Alexandersson wrote:
I just made this reply on the blog:

"Where is the error in Stata? The authorâ??s so called â??Do-File for
Analyses.txtâ?? is actually not a Stata do file but it does refer to
Stataâ??s user-written command -firthlogit- from SSC. Please provide a
reproducible do-file in Stata.The claim that results and conclusions
were due to an error in Stata is not supported."
See http://politicalsciencereplication.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/guest-blog-how-to-persuade-journals-to-accept-your-replication-paper/comment-page-1/#comment-653

Even if -firthlogit- did get it wrong, it is a bit of a stretch to imply that Stata has some terrible flaw. Stata Corp can hardly be held responsible for flaws in programs it did not write.

When I first sent a program to SSC, I thought there might be some sort of exhaustive review process before it was released to the public. I got the feeling that wasn't the case when I got a message less than an hour later saying the program had been posted. Most user-written routines are fine but people should realize they haven't undergone the kind of testing that official programs have. And even in this case, we don't have any proof yet that firthlogit did get it wrong.

Anders Alexandersson
[email protected]

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Philip Jones
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I found a link on my Twitter feed this AM, purporting to show how
> Stata "made a mistake" that R did not make:
>
> http://www.r-bloggers.com/can-your-results-be-replicated/
>
> which actually points to:
>
> http://politicalsciencereplication.wordpress.com/2013/09/11/guest-blog-how-to-persuade-journals-to-accept-your-replication-paper/
>
> I realize that "r-bloggers" is likely not the most bias-free site when
> it comes to reviewing/rating stats packages, but has anyone got an
> idea as to what is actually going on here? Is Stata really at fault?
>
> Regards,
>
> Phil
> @pmgjones on Twitter

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463