st: AW: RE: Maker label position using mlabv() in box plots

From   Michael Koelle <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: RE: Maker label position using mlabv() in box plots
Date   Fri, 6 Sep 2013 14:46:27 +0000

Joe,

thanks for looking into this! I'm afraid that the -mlabposition- does not help me in my case. I wanted to use a -pos- variable, which I had programmed, to have the position of the marker labels alternate on both sides of the box plot. And don't overlap as strongly any more. As you said, it must be a bug, and one worth reporting.

Best, Michael

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Joe Canner
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 19:32
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: RE: Maker label position using mlabv() in box plots

Michael,

I was able to reproduce this error using auto.dta.  I did a trace and found the -syntax- statement in the ado-file for -graph box- and it does not even mention the -mlabvposition- option.  It appears that this is a bug.  Although it should not be hard for StataCorp to reproduce, here is the code I used, in case you want to report it:

. sysuse auto
. graph box price, marker(1, mlabel(make) mlabv(turn))

Using -turn- as the position variable is not really appropriate, but it doesn't really matter what you put there because it won't be accepted in any case.

As to what to do in the meantime, perhaps you can use the -mlabposition()- option which takes a constant from 0-12 as an argument.

Regards,
Joe Canner
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine