evaluation and case?control studies. Statistics in Medicine Statist.
Med. 26, no. 8: 1675-1687.

Steve

On Aug 26, 2013, at 1:43 PM, Joe Canner wrote:

Perhaps what James is referring to is that -psmatch2- (in the case of 1:many matching) gives non-integer weights (each treated case gets a weight of 1 and each control gets a weight of the reciprocal of the number of control matches).  These, of course, cannot be used with [fweight=], but can be used with importance weights [iweight=].  I am currently doing an analysis using -psmatch2- followed by Cox regression and it appears that [iweight=] and [pweight=] give the same results.  The choice and implication of weighting method may differ for other procedures.

Regards,
Joe Canner

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Radwin, David
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 12:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Combining a survey weight and a frequency weight

Please note that the FAQ asks you to mention authors and locations of user-written programs (-psmatch2- is by Edwin Leuven and Barbara Sianesi and is available from SSC).

Although the weight variable in -psmatch2- does represent a frequency, it is not a frequency weight in the sense of Stata's -fweight-. I would not describe it as representing "how important the observation is."

Here is the description in the program's help file:

  psmatch2 creates a number of variables for the convenience of the user . . . .
       _weight. For nearest neighbor matching, it holds the frequency with which the observation is
       used as a match; with option ties and k-nearest neighbors matching it holds the normalized
       weight; for kernel matching, and llr matching with a weight other than stata's tricube, it
       stores the overall weight given to the matched observation. When estimating att only _weight =
       1 for the treated.

In other words, I don't think you should try to use this variable as a measure of importance.

David
--
David Radwin
Senior Research Associate