st: problems with heckman twostep procedure and manual computation

From   "Ozemela, Ekelechi Nneoma" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: problems with heckman twostep procedure and manual computation
Date   Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:24:26 +0000

I am doing out a heckman correction as I have a sample of children who have birth weight and majority of the other children do not have as most were born at home. My question is this. When I run the command heckman with two step, my results are very different from when I run the manual two stage equation using probit. I have read the difference is usually in the standard errors but I am getting results are entirely different from the heckman.

A short version of my model is:
heckman Birthweight class age twin bord momBMI, select (BWinfo clinic class age twin bord momBMI) twostep mills(imr)

Where BWinfo is a dummy to represent whether a child has birth weight information or not and clinic is the identifier(instrument) depicting place of delivery.

When I run the selection equation alone,

Probit BWinfo clinic class age twin bord momBMI

The results are entirely different from the previous command and by the time I compute the inverse mills ratio and run the regress command including it, my results are all different.

Kind Regards,

Ekelechi Ozemela
PhD candidate
University of Aberdeen Business School