Re: st: merging the newly created height and weight DHS data sets with child data set

From   Donela Besada <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: merging the newly created height and weight DHS data sets with child data set
Date   Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:26:41 +0200

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response. To be honest, I am not sure, but I am
assuming that they have to be, since they are picking the same
variables in each of the data sets to merge on, they are just called
something different in each data set.

I don't really know what other options to try. I am trying to follow
the instructions, but they are not very clear:

I have pasted here the full instructions:

HEIGHT AND WEIGHT – WHO CHILD GROWTH STANDARD FILES

The Height and Weight – WHO Child Growth Standard files contain the
standard deviations for the height for age, weight for age, weight for
height, and BMI according to the new WHO definition.  These data are
available in the standard distributed DHS-V data files but not for
previous recode definitions.  The new WHO scores for recode
definitions 4 and below need to be merged with the corresponding
standard recode files for analysis purposes.

In the early phases of DHS, the Height and Weight data was collected
for children of interviewed women; but in the last two rounds the data
were collected for all children in the households.  Variable HWLEVEL
in this file indicates whether the anthropometry data was collected at
the household or the woman’s level.  Code 1 in that variable indicates
that height and weight was collected at the household level and code 2
indicates that it was collected at the woman’s level.

The Height and Weight data collected for children of interviewed women
can be merged with either their mothers or the children themselves as
follows:

Use HWCASEID from the Height and Weight file with CASEID from the
Individual Recode to merge it with the mother’s data.

Use HWCASEID and HWLINE, from the Height and Weight file, with CASEID
and MIDX, from the Children's recode file to merge it with the
Children’s data.

Use HWCASEID and HWLINE, from the Height and Weight file, with CASEID
and BIDX, from the Births Recode file to merge it with the Births’
data.

The Height and Weight data collected for children at the household
level can be matched to the households, to the members, to the
mothers, or to the children.

Use HWHHID from the Height and Weight data file with HHID from the
Household Recode file to merge it with the household data where the
child was measured.

Use HWHHID and HWLINE from the Height and Weight file with HHID and
HVIDX from the Members Recode file to merge it with the household
member data.

Once the Height and weight data are merged to the household members’
file, the resulting file could then be merged with the mother’s and
children’s file, as follows:

Use HV001 (cluster number) plus HV002 (household number) and HC60
(mother’s line number) from the constructed file and merge it with the
corresponding V001, V002 and V003 from the Individual Recode file.

Use HV001 (cluster number) plus HV002 (household number) and HWLINE
from the member’s constructed file (or the one resulting from the
previous merge), and merge it with the corresponding V001, V002, B16
(child’s line number in the household) in the Children Recode file or
in the Births Recode file.