RE: st: egen with user-defined function

From   Kieran McCaul <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: egen with user-defined function
Date   Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:12:58 +0800

Hi Jan,

this is the way I've dealt with these data.  The reshape at the end puts all the cods in one variable, which makes it easier to flag the ones that you're interested in.

BTW, are you using the ENTITY_AXIS_DATA data?

/* Open the death data  */

outfile sequence r_year record_axis_data using "$deaths\record axis0.txt" if yeargrp==0, noquote wide replace
outfile sequence r_year record_axis_data using "$deaths\record axis1.txt" if yeargrp==1, noquote wide replace
outfile sequence r_year record_axis_data using "$deaths\record axis2.txt" if yeargrp==2, noquote wide replace

/* sequence is our ID variable
    r_year is the registration year
*/

clear *

infile using "$deaths\record_axis0.dct", using("$deaths\record axis0.txt") clear
tempfile record1
save `record1', replace

infile using "$deaths\record_axis1.dct", using("$deaths\record axis1.txt") clear
append using `record1'
save `record1', replace

infile using "$deaths\record_axis2.dct", using("$deaths\record axis2.txt") clear
append using `record1'

save "$deaths\record_axis.dta", replace

reshape long ra_cod, i(sequence) j(order)
drop if ra_cod==""
drop order

save "$deaths\record_axis (long).dta", replace

* The record_axis.dct file looks like this.  The others are variations on this basically.

infile dictionary          {
   str5 sequence     %5s
   _skip(6)
   str6 year         %4s