st: Interval-censored analysis vs grouped analysis was: -cloglog

Subject   st: Interval-censored analysis vs grouped analysis was: -cloglog
Date   Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:34:10 -0400

Just to give some background for those new to the conversation:

Pradip is analyzing public use files from the linked mortality file for
the US National Health Interview Survey (NHIS). Adults in the 1997-2004
(or 2006 - his description has varied) surveys were matched to deaths
recorded in the US National Death Index through December 31, 2006. To
ensure privacy, only year and quarter of death are given in the Public
Use File See:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/data_linkage/mortality/
nhis_linkage_public_use.htm.

He is using svy: -cloglog- to do a proportional hazards analysis of
grouped data. There are some problems if one uses the first year and
quarter as the "zero" interval, because deaths that take place in that
interval will be dropped by -stset-. (This is a well-known problem of
grouping See: Bergston and Edin, 1992.) It's possible to retain these
deaths by assuming that the interview took place at the start of the
quarter: just add a "zero" period for all people.

Ref: Bergström, Reinhold, and P‐A Edin. 1992. Time aggregation and the
distributional shape of unemployment duration. Journal of Applied
Econometrics 7, no. 1: 5-30.

Interval censored regression. It turns out that the data set also
contains the "week" of the quarter in which interviewing was to start,
with completion required within ~15 days (in fact most take place within
7 days). Thus one can bound the time to death by the times from day 1 of
interval week to quarter start and to quarter end. The length of the
censoring interval will be 1 quarter or 12 weeks. In contrast, in an
analysis based on quarters of interview and death the time to death has
a possible range of 24 weeks, with average 12. Thus -interval censored-
analysis should be considered.

Attained age: Age at interview is known. Pradip wants to use attained
age as a time scale for the survival models, as this is a natural
classifier for mortality rates. However, because birthday is unknown,
there is no way to assign age to any year and quarter with certainty.
Assigned ages will be off by 1 year in about half the people.

Now, read on:

Steve

> On Aug 18, 2013, at 7:44 AM, Muhuri, Pradip (SAMHSA/CBHSQ) wrote:
>
> Dear Statalist,
>
> This is in response to Steve's recommendation to use -stpm2- (SSC) by Patrick Royston for my analysis of the complex survey designed-based National Health Interview Survey Linked Mortality file (NHIS-LMF) data
> (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/data_linkage/mortality/nhis_linkage.htm), which include the "quarter and year" for the time of interview and the time of death (e.g. quarter 1, 2001) and the "exact date" for censored cases.
>
> I appreciated receiving Steve's comments and wanted to thank him for his time.
>
> Below are my specific responses and observations.
>
> 1) I am not sure whether the -svy- prefix accepts the -stmp2- command. If it does not and  given that the event date is expressed in terms of quarter /year in the NHIS-LMF data, the complementary log log (CLL) regression analysis (-cloglog-) on "spell" data using Professor's Jenkins' resources https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/files/teaching/stephenj/ec968/pdfs/ec968st6.pdf
> ), which Steve initially recommended (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2013-07/msg01158.html), could still be a better alternative to the proportional hazards model approach.

I agree that -cloglog- is a good way to go, though you still have to add
the zero point.

I recommended -stpm-, not -stpm2-. Both accept probability weights
specified in -stset-, but only -stpm- has a cluster() option and will do
interval censoring. -stpm- is not survey-aware, so it has two
disadvantages: a) It can't take a sampling strata() option. In many
surveys, this would make little difference to the resulting standard
errors. b) It won't properly estimate standard errors for
subpopulations.

> 2) From the NHIS-LMF citation list
> (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/datalinkage/nhis_mort_cit_list.pdf), I
> find several published articles that employed Cox proportional hazards
> models although the time scale included in the data files is not
> continuous (the event date is the quarter/year scale).

Just because the articles were published, doesn't mean that bias wasn't
present.

> 3) I agree with Steve: measurement errors associated with "attained age"
> in the NHIS-LMF data are real. However, whether I use "attained age" or
> "age at interview", the death rates by 10-year age group in the -svy
> mean- analysis or the hazard rates from the -margins- command after
> -cloglog- for the same 10-category age variable in the CLL model differ
> little by the age construct used. Results have not been shown here.

It's not surprising that 10 year age groupings would be little affected
by misclassification error. However your goal is a prediction model.
For prediction purposes, such age groups are to wide to be informative.

You tried to assign "fractional ages" of 51.0, 51.25, 51.50 to each
quarter. These assume that the subject's birthday was at the date of
interview, which is clearly wrong.

A more serious issue: Some predictors measured at interview
could change subsequently.  Their use as predictors of mortality
at attained age, i.e. current age, is of questionable value.

For example, it's well-known that unmarried or widowed men have higher
risks of death. If a man who was married at interview later lost his
spouse, his marital status would be misclassified for all ages
subsequent to the loss. For this predictor, I would expect that
classification will be differential.

> 4) Some comparison: Model-free death rates (-svy means-) and CLL
> model-based death rates (-margins-)
>
> 	a) The death rates by 10-year attained-age group, calculated from
> the 1997-2006 NHIS-LMF 	person-year "spells" data (shown below), seem
> to be close to the death rates published 	for 2011 (Table 1, Page 8
> http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf , also 	shown
> below).
>
> 	b) From the 1997-2006 NHIS-LMF data, the CLL model-based death rates
> are about the same as 	the rates from -svy- means presented below.

See my remark above about grouping.  Means for younger age groups were not that
close.

> 5) Steve's idea of using  the "split validation sample approach" is a good one.
>
> 6) Constructing the date of NHIS interview from the assignment week could be very different from the date constructed from quarter and year of interview.  Some interviews assigned in the last week of a given quarter might have actually taken place in the following quarter.

Two misunderstandings here:

1. I'm not sure what constructed dates you refer to. The interval-censoring analysis
gets a good lower bound on the date of interview.

2. To get a valid censoring interval, all that is necessary is to identify the earliest date on which the the interview could have occurred. The interview
week is identified by its first day. The fact it continued into the next quarter is irrelevant.