st: -cloglog- memory & -stcurve- median : was -svy stocx- attained age

Subject   st: -cloglog- memory & -stcurve- median : was -svy stocx- attained age
Date   Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:25:42 -0400

Pradip:

Statalist is not a place for private conversations. Nobody will be able to
follow this thread unless you are clear about what you are doing.

In my response to your private email, I asked you to send your original
private post to Statalist. Please now describe the study, data, and
study questions so that others might help you.

For specific issues, show code and results as the Statalist FAQ request,
detail the models you tried, the relevant output, and give essential
information, such as the N, number of deaths, descriptive stats on your
primary exposure variable, and a 2 x 2 table cross-tabulating death and
exposure.

To bring others up to date, the d* and dur* variables Pradip refers to
are period variables for -cloglog-, as detailed in Lesson 6 of
https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/resources/survival-analysis-with-stata
The "spell" dataset, is the result of an -expand- operation which
contains one observation for each period a person is at risk:

About memory problem, I have only generic advice:

• Upgrade your OS to one that can address more memory

• Add physical memory

As we know more details, perhaps other ideas may suggest themselves.

To estimate the median, compute it "by hand" for a
single curve; then try to write code that will automate what you did. If
you can't, "by hand" may be good enough. Just be aware that, because of
the grouping, you'll need to linearly interpolate between quarter end
points or to fit flexible parametric models. I pointed the way to
creating expected values in an earlier post. For a way of adding
points to a graph, see:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-02/msg01145.html

By the way: you are not correct in assuming that date of interview can
be located only by year and quarter. The NHIS data sets contain an
"assignment week" of the quarter, and instructions are to finish the
survey by that week, or no later than a bit longer than 14 days. Thus
you can easily locate interview date to the most likely month, that of
the assignment week. I'm not sure that will you do any good unless you
can work with the restricted data that has date of death.

See:
http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/proceedings/papers/1992_048.pdf)
http://www.amstat.org/sections/srms/proceedings/y2001/Proceed/00040.pdf

You are welcome for the advice I've given so far, but to quote a recent post
from Nick Cox:

"Better to think that you are replying to the list. Anyone who replies
to you is not volunteering to provide dedicated support, just trying to
push a discussion forward. Nor will they necessarily write lots of code
for you...What you want requires custom programming..."

Regards,

Steve