RE: st: Proportionality check: stcrreg with an established tvc

From   "Boyle, Nicole M" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Proportionality check: stcrreg with an established tvc
Date   Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:22:27 +0000

Hi AO,

Wonderful, thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.

Follow-up question: For deeming the "appropriateness" of other time function interactions,
does one also eyeball the results of different outputs in the same manner you described?
I've been considering using texp(ln(_t)), only because this is the only way tvc was taught
to me, but that's obviously not a good enough reason to transform a time function.

Thanks,
Nicole
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Adam Olszewski [[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 3:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Proportionality check: stcrreg with an established tvc

Hi Nicole,
It is actually enough to inspect the results of the stcrreg alone. If
the hypothesis that TVC coefficient for your other variables can be
safely rejected based on the P-values, then this is all you need. You
may, for additional sensitivity, evaluate tvc with the texp() function
to assure that interactions with other time functions are not more
appropriate (e.g. texp(_t^2) or texp(ln(_t)) ).
I am not sure if there is much value of doing a "general" test of
proportionality of all variables at the same time, you would probably
want more to know which variable violates the PH assumption and how
important it is for your estimands of interest to include this effect
in the model.
AO