Re: st: Saving CSV (on Mac) errors with spaces in file name

From   [email protected] (Kevin H. Crow, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Saving CSV (on Mac) errors with spaces in file name
Date   Tue, 06 Aug 2013 08:25:03 -0500

Wayne Folta <[email protected]> reported the following problem with -export
delimited-.

> I tried this:
>
> . use "/Users/myuserid/Documents/Stats/foo/Foo Top 25 Length.dta"
>
> . export delimited using "/Users/myuserid/Documents/Stats/foo/Top 25
>Length.csv", replace
> invalid '25'
>                  stata():  3598  Stata returned error
> export_delim_write_file():     -  function returned error
> export_delim_export_file():     -  function returned error
>                  <istmt>:     -  function returned error
> r(3598);
>
> If I remove the spaces from the "Top 25 Length.csv", it works. Obviously
>there's no overall problem with spaces in file names, since the use uses a
>similar file name. But in the handoff to Java (I'm guessing the export is done
>in Java), something bad happens.
>
>Wayne

This is a bug in -export delimited- which is triggered by filenames with
embedded spaces.  This will be fixed in the next Stata update.

Kevin
StataCorp