re: st: Replying if in digest mode

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Replying if in digest mode
Date   Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:53:51 -0400

As a digest receiver, myself, I can add one additional comment to Nick's
below:

You may be responding to a posting that has already been responded to (as
you are coming a day late to the party). More often than not, I first go to
the statalist archives page http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/ to make
sure that my response is not duplicative of others.

Ariel

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 10:42:30 +0100
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Replying if in digest mode

Someone asked

I am a new Statalist person, and I am not sure how to reply to people,
given that I signed up to Statalist in "digest" mode.

This is already answered in the FAQ at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/#toask

"... if you are replying to a daily digest, put your reply in a new
posting, taking care to use the same title as the specific posting you
are replying to. Replying to the digest itself (even if you edit out
all irrelevant content and change the title) causes archiving software
to receive irrelevant information about what you are replying to."

There is a little awkwardness here, but digest subscribers can't have
it both ways.